Saturday, July 21, 2012

And The Rest...

Since my last entry so many things have happened that it seems impossible to catalog them all. Most importantly, I've left Brasil to pass through Porto Alegre and arrive in Buenos Aires.
But first before leaving I had the good fortune to be able to meet Josh Farley, my professor from UVM and his family for lunch and a hike. He was working with another professor from the island on a permaculture project that I was able to help with. It involved a trip to farms in the nearby countryside of Santa Catarina.

All the farms we visited were small and tucked between the rolling hills and streams. The people were almost entirely German and most of them spoke German as well. The project involved planting trees and plants to shade cows (reducing area needed for grazing), improve their health, restore native species, provide açaí and wood to sell, attract bees for honey, sequester carbon, reduce erosion among other things. Unfortunately only one trip was made after almost all the professors in Brasil went on strike.

The week before I left was spent trying to absorb as much Brasil as possible, going to the beach, cooking seafood, or dancing. Finally the time came to pack my things and say farewell. On the bus to Porto Alegre I sat down and recognized the man next to me. It was the pilot who I had taught English a month ago on a business trip!

There isn't much to say about Porto Alegre except that, to my great pleasure, there was alot (I mean alot) of mate. Everyone is a Gaucho and there are countless stores that just have cowboy clothes, knives, whips, mate accessories and other farm things. After a few nights of couchsurfing with other students I caught the bus to Buenos Aires. 18 hours was plenty of time to reflect, listen to Brasilian music and feel saudades as I crossed over to Argentina.

The next week in Buenos Aires was fantastic. I met up with my dear Mexican friend, Delia, to explore the city. It couldn't be more different from Brasil. It had art, culture, history, European architecture, security (more or less), all things that Brasil lacked. But spending time with other Brasilian tourists, I realized that the love of life and energy of Brazilians is something grand and unique that makes up for its shortcomings.

The week was full of delicious meat, wine, tango, Spanish, and late nights. At 1:30 AM restaurants are still full of people, including families with children, eating their dinner. At 2-3 people start to go out and the city stays alive all night long. The last day I visited Velatropa, a commune next to the University with a theater student I had met drinking mate in the park. It was full of recycled art, houses hanging from trees, octagonal domes, and other fantastic projects. I listened to someone talk in Spanish about ancient civilizations and aliens and then headed back to the hostel for the last night before leaving Buenos Aires...To be continued

 A tree house

 Velatropa

 In front of a Gaucho store

Lot's of mate

 The obelisk



At the flower that opens
 Restoring native plants





2 comments:

  1. What? Brazil doesn't have any art, culture, or history?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does but you wouldn't know it because its not on display or given much value.

    ReplyDelete